Sunday, September 29, 2013

The modern Puritan

A long time ago Puritans were very strict believers lf God. They were also very harsh towards those who did not believe in god and/or sinned at all throughout their lives. From what I have read in the Crucible and The Scarlet Letter, even the old day Puritans were not so pure behind the scenes. Not saying that ALL old day Puritans were not true Puritans, but not nealry all of them were. You could easily be "damned to hell" if you were to ever sin (and get caught ofcourse).Now, I can only be led to believe that there is no true modern day puritan. This is for the simple fact that Society has changed in so many ways on so many levels that puritans could not even manage a small group with all of the people from today around them. The closest I could ever imagine to be a Puritan are the Amish and that is because not many are in America. The ones that are in America,  I could not come to believe would be able to withstand the American life of small sin. Those who can come near a Puritans ways with America's torturous lifestyle are true saints. Even religion has been moulded in to fit the likings of today's people. To even be a puritan you have to basically never sin in your life and with all of the problems us American people have around us, it seems to me that it is almost impossible.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you're last point, to even be considered a puritan you have to live this "prefect" life. But don't you think people today are at least influenced a bit by Puritan values?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post and I definitely agree that there is no modern group that is comparable to the puritans, but I think that there are still puritan influences in our society beyond the amish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that there isn't really a group that compares to the Puritans, but I do think that some of our values today could be similar to those of the Puritans. Take for example adultery, we all know it is wrong and frowned upon, just like the Puritans. Granted we aren't as harsh as them, but we believe the same thing.

    ReplyDelete